Cooling system repair or replacement in Taunton
How does it all work?
In a nutshell… Your engine creates a huge amount of heat which needs to be cooled (just shy of boiling point). The cooling system is designed to remove heat from the engine and does so by using several components.
The water pump spins via belts connected to the engine and circulates the coolant (water and antifreeze) through the pipes and engine to the radiator. On its way back through the system the coolant is chilled by the electric fans.
The correct engine temperature is maintained by a temperature switch, which as and when required will operate the fans. Any excessive pressure in the system is limited by the radiator cap which opens a valve and allows for the coolant to flow out through an overflow pipe.
Now, with several important components all working together the system should run perfectly, but should just one component fail then there is potential for disaster.
Cooling system components repair or replacement
- Radiator & Radiator fans
- Water pump
- Pressure cap and expansion tank
- Temperature switch
- Head gasket
- Heater core
Water pump reconditioning & replacement
Common problems cars have with the cooling system.
- Broken hoses. Hoses can wear out and leak causing overheating.
- Broken fan belt. If the belt breaks the water pump can not turn and coolant will not be circulated. This will also lead to engine overheating.
- Faulty radiator cap. The radiator cap is designed to hold a certain pressure in the coolant system. If your cap does not hold pressure, then the engine could overheat.
- Water pump failure. More often than not you will hear a screeching noise and will be able to see coolant leaking from under the car, causing the engine to overheat.
- Head gasket… have large amounts of white smoke coming out of your exhaust? When this gasket fails coolant can enter the engine causing the cylinder head to warp. Head gaskets most often fail after the engine has experienced an overheating situation.
If you see any of these signs, please stop your car before any further damage is caused. Call us on 01823 330755 to assist.